Sins and Needles

"With a new cosmopolitan, less insular generation it might again grow into a sincere expression of a man loving to create with his own hand, or shall we rather say-- woman, emancipated, finally creates with her own genius." --The Sacred History of Knitting, by Heinz Edgar Kiewe (1971).

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Harry Potter Scarves

I just read someone's blog where they were going on and on about being creative, and how they couldn't understand why in the world people would knit Harry Potter scarves. For them, it's just stockinette and stupid basic color changes, but for me-- it was the reason I started knitting in the first place!!

I am a HUGE Potter fan, and this leads me to believe that this person has never experienced such entertainment via reading. That's very sad.

Not only did they start me knitting, but knitting my huge Hagrid-sized Slytherin scarf taught me how to make perfect stockinette, how to do color changes, how to make fringe, how to end a project, and how to keep at it and finish a project before a deadline (the release of OOTP at midnight of whatever day it was released last summer).

By being such a huge fan, I not only get to entertain myself through reading, but I got to get excited and inspired by it too. I learned a craft that I always thought was so hard. I learned another way to solve math equations by relating them to something I can make. It gave me another tool to help homeless animals. It gave me something productive to do while I watch reality shows on TV! Ha ha. There are many benefits of beginning my knitting career through Harry Potter scarves.

I'm sorry, I just hate people who come off like they're better than the rest of us. There are reasons why people do things, and if you can't understand it, maybe you're the one with the "problem".

And just one more thing (a la Columbo): How creative are you when you're using a pattern someone else wrote? Hmmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home