Sins and Needles

"With a new cosmopolitan, less insular generation it might again grow into a sincere expression of a man loving to create with his own hand, or shall we rather say-- woman, emancipated, finally creates with her own genius." --The Sacred History of Knitting, by Heinz Edgar Kiewe (1971).

Monday, July 19, 2004

"Hug Me" baby sweater

So, I've been working on (another) baby sweater for the looongest time now- about 2 months. I would provide a link to the pattern, but Patternworks no longer carries it. Maybe because it's... a terrible pattern? I swatched, I followed the directions to a T, and I used the proper yarn. The damn thing is WAY too long for a baby, and I had to sub yarn in on the second side (as a sort of stripe thing) because I was going to run out of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece yarn. And it was too long, even though they gave measurements!! Argh. Plus since it's cotton yarn on sz 5 needles, my carpal tunnel is aggravated every time I pick it up, hence the reason why it's taking so long. Oh well. Good thing the baby is still entirely too small to wear it.

But on a good note for the day, I went to the cat show again to help out and drive stuff back to the shelter. I also found out about a cat boarding place near me, so I enquired later via email about a job (because I'm unemployed at the moment). The lady wrote me back a really nice email and told me that she was too small (as a business) to take on another person, but gave me ideas of where to look. I followed through on one place and sent them my resume. I wrote a really honest, heartfelt cover letter explaining that although I wasn't entirely qualified for the position (I don't have 3+ years as a fundraiser), I would be the most passionate person for the job. I hope I at least get an interview so I can basically beg for the job. I wouldn't even treat this as a job, you see. It's a lifestyle for me now. Every night I pray to God that the cats I meet find loving homes where they can be treated with dignity.

I never thought I could fall in love with something so hard that wasn't my husband, but helping cats and helping people who help cats is just something I *have* to do.

Speaking of cats, I have to knit this, but with a cat head!! How cute would that be? I would be the coolest volunteer ever. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home